Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) – Skill Training Scheme
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana is an initiative of Indian government to make country’s youth employable and strengthen them economically. The word “Kaushal” refers to Skill and the scheme objective is to encourage skill development for youth by providing them a meaningful, industry relevant, skill based training.
Under the scheme, the beneficiaries who are successfully trained, assessed and certified are awarded financially by the government. There are several skill courses being run by the affiliated training providers under the Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
PMKVY is being run by the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) while National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) is the implementing agency for thescheme. The scheme also seeks to significantly scale up skill training activities in the country and enable skill training to happen at a fast pace without compromising the quality.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana – Objectives
- The major objective of the scheme is to make people trained in various skills so that they can become employable and financially strong.
- The skill development scheme is also aimed to increase productivity of existing workforce and train & certify them according to industry needs.
- Provide Monetary Awards for Skill Certification to boost employability and productivity of youth by incentivizing them for skill training.
- Providing an average monetary reward of Rs. 8,000/- per candidates to the beneficiary who is undergoing skill training.
Main features of PM Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- The training under PMKVY is provided based on the standards (National Occupational Standards – NOS and
Qualification Packs – QPs for specific job roles) defined by the industry-driven bodies, namely the Sector Skills Councils (SSCs).
- The skill training is provided based on assessment of skill demand and the ‘Skill Gap Studies’
- Government will provide training aligned with the national flagship programmes such as “Swachch Bharat”, “Digital India”, “Make in India”, “National Solar Mission” and so on.
- The training providers will undergo the due diligence according to the guidelines of PMKVY issued by NSDC before being registered to provide training to the youth. This will ensure the good quality of training.
- The training curricula also includes soft skill training, personal grooming, behavioral change for cleanliness, and good work ethics.
- Trainees with prior skills and experience will be assessed and given monetary rewards for undergoing the assessment.
- Monetary rewards will be provided upon successful training and assessment to the beneficiaries according to their job roles and sectors. Higher incentives will be given to training in manufacturing, construction and plumbing sectors.
- The monetary reward amount will directly be transferred to the bank account of the beneficiary without any intermediaries. This will bring transparency to the system and fasten the whole process. Aadhar number of the beneficiary will be used for unique identification.
- The government also provides mentoring support to the candidates who have successfully completed the training and are looking for employment opportunities.
PMKVY Target and Scheme Outlay
The Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) will provide training to about 24 lakh youth in one year at a cost of Rs. 1,500 crore.
|Average Reward Amount (Rs.)||Physical Target (Number of trainees in lakh)||Financial target (Rs.in crore)|
|RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning)||2200||10||220|
|Awareness and mobilization (5%)||67|
|Incentives for supplementary mentorship and placement services (5%)||67|
|Administrative expenses (2%)||26|